Below is a real Chances Form reply sent to a customer in September, 2019.
PLEASE KEEP YOUR DEVICE POWERED OFF, UNPLUGGED, AND DO NOT OPEN THE COVER TO AVOID FURTHER DAMAGE
Thank you for submitting our Chances form! I’ll get right to it…
CAN WE RECOVER YOUR FILES?
Based on our history with “HDS721010CLA332” (we’ve worked on this model 156 times) and given your device’s symptoms…
- Your device has a 90% chance for a successful recovery. “Successful,” in this case, means we’ll be able to recover at least some data (hopefully all the data) you want.
Our history of successful recoveries for “HDS721010CLA332” reflects, on average, we’ve been able to recover 98.9% of our customer’s data.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST YOU?
- The cost of your data recovery is $300.
- This total includes all fees except shipping ($10 in CA, $15 anywhere else in the United States), a “Transfer drive,” or rare conditional fees if not already mentioned above, if applicable. See our Rates page for more information on Transfer Drives and rare conditional fees.
- You can always confirm the total cost of your recovery by using our Instant Rate Calculator.
- About 37% of “HDS721010CLA332” drives we’ve received have bad heads (these are most often drives that have been dropped and/or are clicking, so I don’t think it will apply to your recovery). We always try to provide our customers with the option of an affordable “partial” recovery, by disabling the bad head(s) and recovering data using the remaining good heads. However, sometimes the only way to recover any data is by replacing the heads inside the drive. In these cases, we will offer you the option of paying for the necessary donor. We don’t determine the cost of donor drives; our customers pay the actual cost we pay (and we even include a link online to the exact donor drive required). You may decline the head swap repair option if the cost of the donor drive is too expensive (for no charge; excluding “open cover” fee and shipping, if applicable).
- Based on our history with this model, the average cost of a donor drive is $97.
WHEN IS OUR FEE DUE?
- If we recover at least 99% of your data, our fee is due.
- If we recover less than 99% of sectors on your device, it’s your choice to approve the recovery and pay our full rate, or decline the recovery and pay a $100 labor fee.
- If we can’t recover any of your files, there is no charge (besides shipping, $10-$15 in the USA, and donor parts, if applicable).
- When your recovery has finished, you’ll have 14 days to pay for the recovery. After 14 days, there is a $10 per week storage fee to retain your hard drives and accessories.
WHAT IS OUR TURN-AROUND TIME?
- Our average turnaround time is 7–10 days.
- If you need your data back as fast as possible, consider our Priority Service for an additional $200 ($50 up-front + $150 if the recovery is successful).
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
- We’re different than every other data recovery company. Find out what makes us unique on our How We’re Different page.
- Our data recovery process is second-to-none. We carefully follow our time-tested recovery process for every device we receive. Learn more about the steps we take to recover your data safely and efficiently by visiting Our Process page.
- We use only the “best in class” data recovery tools; including the hardware used to “speak” to the drive, along with the tools we use when repairing drives in our clean room. Learn more about the ultra-sophisticated tools we use for data recovery by exploring our Tools page.
- It took years of hard work to become the highest rated data recovery company. We now have over 2000 5-star reviews around the Internet. Read previous customer’s testimonials on sites like Yelp, Facebook, BBB (A+ rating since 2007), and more on our Reviews page.
- Watch part 1, part 2, and part 3 of Carey Holzman’s interviews with me ($300 Data Recovery’s owner & lead technician). Parts 1 and 2 were filmed in 2017 and part 3 in 2019.
READY TO GET YOUR FILES RECOVERED?
Use the form links below to have your Chances Form details automatically pre-filled into our Drop Off or Mail-in Form:
- Drop Off Form (read this page for drop off instructions).
- Mail-In Form (you’ll see shipping/packing instructions after submitting the form).
If you have questions, check out our FAQ. If you can’t find your answer there, please let me know.
P.S. We recommend being skeptical of any company that claims to have a 95%+ success rate for all drives/devices. Even an overall success rate above 90% is likely impossible to achieve, considering that at least 5–10% of all hard drives are unrecoverable by anyone, due to severe platter damage. Also, anyone claiming they WILL be able to recover your data can NOT know for sure. There are always variables and potential pitfall that can make data recovery impossible. That’s why we use this Chances Form to provide you with a realistic estimate of your chances, without any hype or false promises.